Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Mediterian Diet



Good Olive Oil, lemon, olives, tomatoes...

Grains and eggs. Cheese and ham...

One of my favorite cook books is The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. I've cooked this recipe and with out a doubt it is good! So here you are.

Daube De Veau Au Phare (Mrs. Ramsay's Proventcal Stew)

For the Marinade:
*It calls for 2 and a half pounds of veal but I substitute chicken and it's just as good. So...*

2 and a half pounds of chicken (1 whole chicken)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
1 medium onion slices
1 celery rib sliced
3/4 cup robust dry red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brandy
2 TBS coarsely chopped
3/4 4 inch strip of orange zest
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
3/4 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
3 bay leaves broken in two
freshly ground pepper

For the stew:
a little instant flour for sprinkling on the chicken
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
18 fat shallots peeled
24 pitted olives, preferably a mixture of black and green
1 14-16 ounce can whole tomatoes. drained and chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper.

Put the meat in a deep china ot glass bowl and pour all the marinade ingredients over it. Turn the meat with your hands (fun!) to distribute the aromatics evenly throughout. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight or 4-5 hours.

The next day, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Remove the pieces of meat, reserving the marinade. Dry the meat well with paper towels and sprinkle a little flour over it to help the browning. In a large heavy casserole, brown the meat in 2 TBS of olive oil over medium-high heat. (You may have to do this in batches,  removing pieces as they brown.)

When all the meat is brown, return it all to the pan and pour the marinade over it. There should be just enough liquid to come to the top of the meat. Add a little wine if necessary. Set the pan over medium-low heat and while it and while it is warming up, prepare the carrots, shallots, and olives and add them to the pan with the tomatoes.

When sauce is simmering, cover the pan tightly and bake for at least 3 hours. It is actually better prepared a day ahead of time, in which case you can refrigerate the daube once it is cooked, first letting it cool down to room temperature. Before you heat it upthe next day remove the fat, which willhave congealed on the surface. Taste the daube and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if you wish.

These daubes are often served with wide noodles, all though Mrs. Ramsay likes her's with potatoes. I like mine with  cous cous...
Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Deliciious. Pattee one of the things I like best about this site is your recipes.

    I am so glad you came by I was dying for you to get over here.

    Your tarot says that you are well loved and thought of very highly.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pattee I hope you liked the post today because it is my gift to you and to show you the love I have for you.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to turn in to a small short house following this blog. Everytime I see these posts I want to go eat, even if I already have.

    Thank you so much Pattee for the anniversary wishes.
    I love this doll too I have a tons of different ones that I will be sharing later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this looks fantastic...you're making me hungry...

    not sure what this jill of all trades can do but, I want one of those gypsy wagons! YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pattee,

    Renee said I could come along and be the fresh juice maker. I hope that is alright with you and the rest.

    Thanks so much for the invite to this blog. I've already copied one of the recipes and look forward to more.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete


  6. head gypsy heart sister: ♥

    ReplyDelete