Thursday, January 28, 2010

Growing Clan of Gypsy Sisters

Since our family is growing I thought I'd better add a few new caravan's.
   
 
  

 
We acquired a couple more horses as well...


Azure (meaning blue)


Tsurirsa (meaning light of dawn) and Nura (meaning gypsy)

Lets have lunch!

Warm Pita Bread

Tzatziki
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 TBS white wine vinegar
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups of plain yogurt
1 TBS dried mint
2TBS fresh mint to garnish

Peel and slice the cucumbers (if their seedy cut the cucumbers into quarters lengthwise and cut away seeds) Place slices in bowl and toss with a little salt. Set aside for 15 minutes or longer to draw some of the liquid out.
In a bowl in which you will serve the tzatziki use the back of a spoon to mash the garlic to a pastes. ( I use my garlic press... it's faster) then stir in the oil. Ass yougurt and dried mint and mix well.
Rinse salt from cucumbers and pat dr. Fold them into the yogurt mixture.



Hummus
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (over 2 cans)
3 cups water
1/2 cup tahini
1TBS dark sesame oil
1tsp salt to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
juice of 2 lemons or more to taste
1 garlic cloves finely minced
1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
pinch gound hot chili (not chili powder)

Place chickpeas in a saucepan with the water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer gently until the chickpeas are very tender but not falling apart. Time depends on age and size, but count at least on 30-40 minutes. Remove form heat and drain saving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Place the chickpeas in a food processor with about 1/4 of the cooking liquid. Process in brief bursts until the chickpeas are a coarse grainy puree, adding more liquid if necessary.
Combine the chickpea puree in a bowl with the tahini, sesame oil, salt and cumin. Add the lemon juice and stir to mix well, then stir in the minced garlic. Spread puree on a platter swirling the top with a fork and drizzle with olive oil~
Olives

This is one of the best garlic chickens you'll ever eat.

Lebanese Garlicky Roast Chicken
*Caution for true garlic lovers only*
1 4-5 pound roasting hen
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS extra-virgen olive oil
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
*1/2 cup Lebanese Garlic Sauce*

Clean and pat dry the chicken (the recipe has the skin on but I take it off)
Mix together the garlic, oil, lemon juice and smear all over the bird inside and out. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, inside and out. Set aside to marinate for an hour or more.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the chicken on a roasting rack, pouring over it any excess marinade. Roast for about 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes with pan juices. Reduce heat to 325 degrees for another 30 minutes... I find I need a bit more time.

This is what makes it so garlicky ~
Lebanese Garlic Sauce
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1 inch slice of country-style bread, crust removed
3 TBS exra-virgin olive oil
3 TBS boiling water
1 TBS fresh lemon juice.

Using a mortar and pestle (which I don't have so I improvise) crush the garlic with the sea salt until you have a very smooth paste. Tear the bread into chunks and place them in bole in a bowl. Cover with warm water, then squeeze the bread as dry as you can. Add the bread to the garlic, a little at a time, and continue pounding to get smooth. Stir in the olive oil 1 TBS after another, and then the boiling water, 1 TBS after another. Stir in the lemon juice. Yum this is good if you like garlic and I think for Gypsy's it's a must.
Wheww.... who wants dessert?

14 comments:

  1. I think that second caravan belongs to a half-gypsy. The wheels say "Let's hit the open road!" but the little verandah on the front says "Let's just stay here and put down some roots!" It's kind of a pushme-pullyou caravan, if you see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so beautiful! I am so excited I get to be a part of this!! What may I contribute? I can knit us all warm scarves and hats when the weather is cold - in bright colors, of course! May I just say, those recipes look amazing - we eat hummus all the time, but I have to try that garlic roast chicken... And those horses - dreamy!! So excited!! Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I am stuffed thank you ..delicious!! May I take the gray as mine..so beautiful! Wow what fun is this! Thank you for having me..off for a bit of wine! hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pattee,
    Your blog is beautiful... I love your images of the traditional caravans and the horses are stunning. The recipe's look delicious too!;)
    I think we might have quite a bit in common, as I am a cat person like youself and I'm also a bit quirky...I love fairy folk.;)
    I will now join your caravan of followers... Please feel free to follow me too, if you wish!
    Lovely to visit you.
    Jo May.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...Im always behind in everything Pattee....Pull my hair and kick me into next week...lmao....I love this....Dear friend...i love you truly...

    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. that garlic chicken recipe will take place in my kitchen lickity split.

    i love seeing our caravans and these amazing horses, pattee. i wonder what i can contribute besides raising money via my magic hands. :)

    i am thinking of a gypsy fashion show....

    shall we link this to blogland lane and vice versa? our community: forever strong.

    ps. two wallets, one rabbbit's foot, one gold watch, and seven pataschio nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is beautiful and I love the photographs of your horses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! now I have to go shopping, for some reason I feel hungry!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures are so inspiring. I could take off for an adventure right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The horses are beautiful. The caravans inspire me to get going. Life is precious, I want to see and do as much as possible. OMG the roasted chicken looks divine. I will make that. I do so like hummus and pita bread. I have never prepared hummus I always buy it in the store. This looks like a lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pattee.....I think one needs a big cushy pillow for Jacquie to have a seat...I love you dear friend.

    xoxoxxoox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love the caravans!! It would be so awesome to really ride around in one and see all the beautiful places in the US.

    And own a horse~what a treat that would be!
    Love the logo for this blog! My gypsy heart just loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh how divine, love the new wagons and the horses are so amazing...and the lunch! All fabulous dishes...hummus is my absolute favorite, I could live off the stuff! :)

    You are an amazing chef!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really looks delicious with lots of twists. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Alcohol Server Certification.

    ReplyDelete